I was happy to have David Levitt, California Senate Candidate among other candidates running across the country for both Congress and Senate on my Coffee Party USA show Politics Done Right. These candidate are all making a pledge to be completely transparent with their political financing.
Many are using the services of the free service http://BeYourGovernment.org platform that allows them to use videos and social media to get their message out.
Levitt 2012 for US Senate California Tour Gains Supporters, Donations
San Francisco, Berkeley, Oakland, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, CA
(PRWEB) February 21, 2012
Levitt is campaigning as a Democrat in California's new 'top two' Senate primary this June, where under the new rules he and 20 year incumbent Democrat Dianne Feinstein may become the only Senate candidates on the November ballot.
"We're delighted with the response. We're getting plenty of ballot signatures from California voters, and donations between 5 and 250 dollars from all over the country," says campaign manager Sheila Harden.
"The contributions and enthusiasm aren't just from California," adds Levitt, a media scientist and software engineer who is helping lead a movement of citizen candidates who refuse corporate money. "People in places like North Carolina and New York recognize that Senator Feinstein's disastrous financial, Middle East, civil liberties and failed drug war policies don't just affect California. They want the nation's largest state to represent their interests, not our past budget-busting policies and war machine."
Law and media columnist Glenn Greenwald of Salon echoed the relief felt by some of those supporters in a widely forwarded Tweet the morning of the Levitt campaign announcement:
"The wretched, war-loving, surveillance-enabling, drug-warrior incumbent Dianne Feinstein gets a progressive challenger"
The Levitt campaign launched on Tuesday, February 14th. Highlights of the week's campaign tour include:
- on Wednesday the 15th Levitt attended the "Which Way Forward?" Public Forum held by The San Francisco 99% Coalition at the city's Unitarian Universalist Church, with about 350 attending. During the discussion period Levitt outlined the citizen candidate movement and his own Senate candidacy. Audience applause was followed by signatures on Levitt for Senate ballot nomination forms, signed by voters from San Francisco and several neighboring counties.
- on Friday at UC Berkeley, Levitt attended the opening of the Whistleblowers Conference where Pentagon Papers' Daniel Ellsberg, Colonel Ann Wright and other whistleblowers honored WikiLeaks and its accused source Bradley Manning, who has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Levitt believes strongly in protecting whistleblowers such as WikiLeaks and other journalists who expose corruption -- especially when, as even Defense Secretary Gates has confessed, the harm they are accused of causing is "overblown".
- on Saturday morning, Dr. Levitt and citizen candidates joined Coffee Party Radio / Politics Done Right host Egberto Willies on a special episode "Can We the People 'Be Our Own Government'?" The guests were:
- Jonathan Greenberg, Executive Director of BeYourGovernment.org
- Jeanne van den Hurk, candidate for U.S. House in South Carolina
- David Levitt, candidate for the U.S. Senate in California
- Eric Reyes, candidate for U.S. House in Illinois
- David Esrati, candidate for U.S. House in Ohio
|My Book: As I See It: Class Warfare The Only Resort To Right Wing Doom