Arroz Con Bacalao (Rice With Cod Fish)
This was one of my father’s signature dishes. He visited us from Panamá twice a year and this was one of his best treats. Unfortunately he will never fix it again as he passed away unexpectedly last week. My neighbor loved this dish and suggested that I share it in my dad’s memory. In reality he know it is cathartic.
- 5 Cups of Rice
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 5-1/2 Cups of Water
- 3 Teaspoons of Curry
- Salt To Taste
- Season Salt To Taste
- Black Pepper To Taste
- 3 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Celery Stalk
- 1/2 Medium Onion
- 1 Small Garlic Bulb
- 1 Small Bunch of Parseley
- 1 Small Bunch of Cilantro
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper
- 4 Strips of Bacon
- 1-1/2 Pound Of Fresh Cod Fish
- Cut up bacon and sautee to crisp rendeirng fat over medium heat. When done remove bacon bits.
- Cut up celery, onions, garlic, bell peppers, parsley, cilantro and sautee in the rendered bacon fat. Just before done season salt to taste.
- Season fish with season salt & black pepper. Fry in olive oil. When fully cooked, cut up in small pieces.
- Put water, coconut milk, & curry into a large pot. Stir in season salt and black pepper to taste. Pour rice into pot. Add sauteed seasonings, bacon bits, and cod fish into pot.
- Place on stove and bring to a full boil. Cover and bring to a simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Use a fork to stir after about 15 minutes of cooking.