Midday Open Thread
- Just maybe the President will take on inequality as his new signature agenda.
President Obama vowed on Friday to join Bill de Blasio, the mayor-elect of New York, and other urban leaders in an effort to combat growing inequalities in American society and pressed Congress to extend unemployment benefits now set to expire.
- Must read: ‘The right’s inequality canard: They botch history and economics’
President Obama has recently attracted attention by acknowledging the problem of inequality and calling for a more aggressive, populist approach. But as he pivots toward income inequality and upward mobility, it’s an important time to demolish one of the most pervasive myths in our society, that there can be a distinction made between equality of opportunity, and equality of outcome.
- The President speaks on the Sandy Hook tragedy.
- There was another school shooting this week. It is sad that inasmuch as it got breaking news coverage, it almost seemed like just another nonchalant violent action.
A student carried a shotgun into Arapahoe High School, asked where to find a specific teacher and then opened fire on Friday, Arapahoe County Sheriff Grayson Robinson said. He shot a fellow student in the head before apparently killing himself.
- Here is the Megyn Kelly controversy in one post.
Does Megyn Kelly not realize that it is well known that the talking heads on her network, Fox News, are the masters of the dog whistle? Does she not realize that her over analysis of a piece by a not so well known blogger, Aisha Harris, to find yet another Fox News story of those others’ war on Christmas was a dog whistle?
- Uruguay becomes the first country in the Americas to legalize marijuana. America, are you listening?
Lawmakers in the small South American nation of Uruguay voted Tuesday to legalize and regulate marijuana, going further than any other country in the world toward decriminalizing the plant and lifting the stigma from its use.