These are the stories that never make it on the 5:00 o’clock or 6:00 o’clock news. President Obama visited Texas last week. He had a chance to visit with Texas families personally impacted by the health care law, Obamacare.
Texas is one of the Republican states that is denying thousands of its citizens the right to healthcare through the Medicaid expansion to Obamacare. As reported in DailyKOS,
The federal government will pay for 100 percent of the cost of the Medicaid expansion until 2017 and 90 percent after that. Each state is then on the hook for the other 10 percent. The loss to rejectionist red state coffers, the Commonwealth Fund found, is staggering. As USA Today summed it up:
By 2022, Texas could lose $9.2 billion by not expanding Medicaid as allowed under the Affordable Care Act, while Florida could lose $5 billion over that period, the study conducted by The Commonwealth Fund shows…Also during that period, the study showed, Georgia could lose $2.9 billion, while Virginia could lose $2.8 billion.
There are no states where the taxpayers would actually gain by not expanding Medicaid,” said Sherry Glied, lead author on the study. “Nobody wins.”
Nobody wins, analyses show, because the Republican Medicaid deniers are being penny wise and pound foolish. The billions the “opt-out” states saved by not expanding Medicaid in future years will be more than offset by their extra costs to compensate hospitals and other providers for the care of the uninsured. As Ezra Klein and Evan Soltas summed up an analysis by the RAND Corporation of 14 Medicaid rejecting states last year:
Time for Obamacare Offensive
Is there any doubt that Democrats should be on the Obamacare offensive? It is our patriotic duty to force them from cowering. It is our duty to force the correct narrative. And that narrative is that Republicans are attempting to implement policies that will effectively kill Americans
LIKE My Facebook Page – Visit My Blog: EgbertoWillies.com