San Bernardino Chief Jarrod Burguan was very careful not to jump to conclusions
San Bernardino Chief Jarrod Burguan gave the last interview of the night with regards to the Inland Regional Center shootings in the 10 PM PT hour. Following are the major points made in the press conference.
- A tip led them to the house in Redlands where initial contact with the shooters were made.
- The chase and gun battle with the suspects involved about 2o to 21 officers.
- The name of the suspects are US born 28 year old Syed Rizwan Farook and 27 year old Tashfeen Malik.
- Mr. Farook is a county employee. He is an environment specialist in the Public Health Department.
- He was at a party with his colleagues. He left angry and returned and effected the massacre with Tashfeen.
- Police response time was 4 minutes. They immediately entered the building.
- Farook and Malik were either married or engaged.
- Terrorism has not been ruled out.
- There were improvised bombs in the building (he was not real conclusive on this).
- Police are reasonably confident there were two shooters and two dead suspects.
- They were armed with 223 caliber assault rifles including a DPMS Model A15 and a Smith & Wesson MMP model.
- They believe some sort of planning went into the massacre.
- They do not have a motive yet.
This chief must be commended for taking the lead as he ensured neither his team nor the media jump to stereotypical conclusions. He allowed for no police sanctioned speculation.