Colin Powell has no respect or admiration for Donald Trump. In fact, he seems to believe that Trump is a farce. He scorched his Republican Party and Condoleezza Rice agreed with his Benghazi assertions.
Colin Powell scorches Donald Trump
Colin Powell's personal emails were hacked. They show that he thinks that Donald Trump is 'an International Pariah' & 'a National Disgrace.' BuzzFeed reported the following.
Former Secretary of State Colin Powell, a retired four-star general who served under three Republican presidents, slammed GOP nominee Donald Trump as “a national disgrace” and an “international pariah,” according to his personal emails seen by BuzzFeed News.
The remarks came in a June 17, 2016, email to Emily Miller, a journalist who was once Powell’s aide. In that same email Powell also said Trump “is in the process of destroying himself, no need for Dems to attack him. [Speaker of the House] Paul Ryan is calibrating his position again.”
Colin Powell had a lot to say. Unfortunately, they were in private emails when they could have been more effective during the Republican Primaries. It is a disservice to the country that a person of his stature held back his thoughts from the country. Apparently, Condoleezza Rice similarly held back on commenting on Trump and other Right Wing Republican shenanigans and misinformation campaigns.
Of note in Colin Powell leaked emails:
- On the Trump's birther movement: “Yup, the whole birther movement was racist,” Powell wrote. “That’s what the 99% believe. When Trump couldn’t keep that up he said he also wanted to see if the certificate noted that he was a Muslim.”
- On Roger Ailes advising Trump: “And Ailes as an advisor won't heal women, don’t you think?” Powell wrote.
- On racism in the Republican Party: “Or as I said before the 2012 election, ‘There is a level of intolerance in parts of the Republican Party.’”
- On journalism to CNN's Fareed Zakaria: “You guys are playing his game, you are his oxygen. He outraged us again today with his comments on Paris no-go for police districts. I will watch and pick the timing, not respond to the latest outrage.”
- On his aversion to addressing Trump in the media: “To go on and call him an idiot just emboldens him.”
- On Republican Benghazi misinformation: “Benghazi is a stupid witch hunt. Basic fault falls on a courageous ambassador who thoughts Libyans now love me and I am ok in this very vulnerable place,” Powell wrote.
- Condoleezza Rice's response to Powell's Benghazi assertion: “Completely agree,” Rice responds, adding, “Let me know when you’re in town and we’ll have that glass of wine (or two).”