Stephen Colbert found the macabre humor in what Republicans are doing to health care. He did not mince words as he pointed out in 3 minutes what our mainstream media are unable to articulate as they grapple with the minutia consistently.
Stephen Colbert schools America on GOP intent after Obamacare repeal
Republican are putting the health of Americans at risk with their plan to repeal Obamacare without a viable alternative. Stephen Colbert’s skit is, in fact, probative.
“They are going to get rid of everything he has done starting with the Affordable Care Act,” Stephen Colbert said. “Which they already voted to kill over 60 times.”
Colbert then said if you don’t succeed, try again. Of course, he repeated the word try 60 times.
“Now this time the Republicans mean it,” Colbert said. “Republican Senator Mike Enzi of Wyoming said, ‘The Obamacare bridge is collapsing, and we’re sending in a rescue team.’ You know, one of those rescue teams that tears down bridges and goes home. Yesterday Donald Trump tried to assure people currently covered by the law that he has a plan. ‘It’s not going to be their plan. … It’ll be another plan. But they’ll be beautifully covered.’ Don’t worry, if you are losing your Obamacare, you will be beautifully covered either by insurance or six feet of dirt.”
Colbert then pointed out that Republicans have not told Americans with what they will be replacing Obamacare. He said Republicans had given us a hint and it is repeal and replace. He went on, in a rather entertaining manner to point out the sad realities.
- Everyone Republican is on board to kill Obamacare.
- Replacement would be complicated. The reality is that Obamacare is the market-based solution to health insurance. Any failures within it are because it is market-based. Single-Payer can be mathematically proven to be more efficient.
- 6 million of the 20 million people who would lose insurance coverage are Trump supporters.
- Repealing Obamacare will cost three million jobs.
- Repealing Obamacare will cost 1.5 trillion dollars in Gross State Product.
- Republicans prohibited the Congressional Budget Office from scoring the cost of repealing Obamacare. In other words, they do not want Americans to know they are getting screwed.
“The GOP is so confident repeal would save money,” Colbert sarcastically said. “that they don’t want to know if that’s true. And if Congress can make it illegal for us to know how much it cost to repeal Obamacare, I think they might have stumbled on the replacement. Just make it illegal for your doctor to tell you your diagnosis. … So Republicans are right to keep us in the dark. I know when someone is screwing me, I like to keep the lights off.”