Rep. Cori Bush did not mince her words at the sham Merrick Garland Judiciary hearings as she lectured her colleagues on oversight and their support for a ‘twice impeached white supremacist election overthrowing demagogue.’
Cori Bush schools GOP on oversight & more.
The stark contrast between Cori Bush‘s approach to oversight and that of her GOP counterparts serves as a reminder that effective governance requires more than partisan soundbites—it demands an unwavering commitment to facts and justice. At a time when American democracy faces internal threats characterized by voter suppression efforts, disinformation campaigns, and authoritarian tendencies, Bush’s assertive questioning is emblematic of the oversight role that Congress should play.
- In a House Judiciary hearing with Attorney General Merrick Garland, Representative Cori Bush criticized the GOP for attacking the Attorney General based on false premises and conspiracy theories, contrasting that with Democrats who were using the hearing as a fact-finding mission.
- Bush sought an update from the Attorney General on the department’s response to a June 2021 letter from Democrats concerning a Trump-era memo on the Equal Rights Amendment, urging Garland to fully withdraw that memo.
- She also expressed concern over the targeting of protesters opposing the construction of the Atlanta Public Safety Training Center, known as “Cop City,” and urged the Justice Department to investigate these civil rights violations.
- Rep. Bush emphasized the interconnectedness of various issues, from civil rights to gender equality, and asked for Garland’s commitment to work on them.
- She ended her time by reminding everyone what good faith oversight should look like, sharply contrasting it with the GOP’s approach, which she characterized as running interference for a “twice-impeached, four times indicted white supremacist demagogue who would rather overthrow our democracy than admit he lost an election.”
In Bush’s questioning, she tackled issues ranging from the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) to civil liberties and civil rights violations against protesters. The ERA, which aims to prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex, has seen renewed interest in recent years, and Bush highlighted a Trump-era memo that has effectively stalled its progress.
Her concern about targeting protesters also touches on a fundamental issue of civil liberties. Organizations like the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) have long advocated for the right to protest, which the First Amendment underpins.
Bush’s indictment of what she termed the GOP’s “white supremacist demagogue” support is a strong denouncement of a political strategy that undermines the very essence of democracy. A 2021 report from Freedom House has highlighted the decline in U.S. democratic standards, emphasizing the role played by former President Trump in undermining electoral processes and encouraging white supremacism.
All of these issues, as Bush noted, are interconnected. They point to whether American democracy, under the oversight of leaders like Garland and Bush, will ascend to its ideals or fail in the face of partisanship and demagoguery. As the Representative from Missouri demonstrated, pursuing justice and preserving democratic norms are not standalone causes; they are interwoven threads in the American tapestry.
Her characterization of the former president while stinging is very accurate. Bold truth-tellers are important in these times.
We work extremely hard to research and seed the internet with truthful, fact-based information to counter the misinformation from the Right and others who would have us vote against our interests. Corporations and billionaires ensure the Right-Wing & MAGA are well funded. We have you, our grassroots. Please support us today.
Make a one-time donation
Make a monthly donation
Make a yearly donation
Choose an amount
Or enter a custom amount.
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.DonateDonate monthlyDonate yearly
Check out my books on our economic fraud, the necessity to engage the other side, and the creation of a real economy that serves us all. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to help us get to 100,000 subscribers. Help us deliver the progressive message widely by joining our YouTube channel.