The Right Wing prostitution smear attack on Democratic Senator Robert Menendez has fallen apart. It was alleged that Senator Menendez agreed to pay them $500 for sex acts with prostitutes in the Dominican Republic, but in the end they each received only $100.
The Washington Post is running the story “Escort says Menendez prostitution claims were made up” that completely disproves the attempt to take down the senator during his election by the Right Wing blog The Daily Caller.
The Daily caller continued its attack on the Senator as recent as February 24th, 2013. The list below is just a sample of the stories being run relentlessly.
- 02/24/2013 "Long-time escort confirms Sen. Bob Menendez paid her for sex on"
- 02/24/2013 "Bob Menendez plays race card, blames conservatives for scandals"
- 02/14/2013 "Former Obama spokesman: ‘Move on’ from Menendez scandal"
- 02/12/2013 "Court documents: Menendez donor leased oceanfront condo for alleged prostitute"
- 02/03/2013 "Editorial pages skewer Bob Menendez over prostitution scandal"
- 01/31/2013 "Dominican prostitute: Sen. Bob Menendez ‘likes the youngest and newest girls’"
- 01/28/2013 "ABC, FBI, Menendez camp tight-lipped about senator’s brewing underage prostitution scandal"
- 01/25/2013 "Emails show FBI investigating Sen. Bob Menendez for sleeping with underage Dominican prostitutes"
- 11/05/2012 "Dominican government official: Sen. Bob Menendez a frequent guest at ‘sex, hookers and drinking’ parties"
According to the Washington Post article.
An escort who appeared on a video claiming that Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) paid her for sex has told Dominican authorities that she was instead paid to make up the claims and has never met or seen the senator, according to court documents and two people briefed on her claim.
The woman said a local lawyer had approached her and a fellow escort and asked them to help frame Menendez and a top donor, Salomon Melgen, according to affidavits obtained by The Washington Post.
FBI agents conducting interviews in the Dominican Republic have found no evidence to back up the tipster’s allegations, according to two people briefed on their work.
Menendez has denied the prostitution claims, saying they were made by enemies trying to undermine him as he sought reelection in the fall and became chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee this year.
Daily Caller Editor Tucker Carlson did not reply to phone calls and e-mails requesting comment.
Melgen’s lawyer and allies in the Dominican Republic charged Monday that the video “confession” had been fabricated to tarnish Menendez as well as Melgen and his family. Melgen’s lawyer Kirk Ogrosky said his client was gratified to see local police unearthing “this campaign of lies.”
“Dr. Melgen is hopeful that the appropriate authorities will identify and prosecute the people who are responsible,” Ogrosky said. “As he has maintained from day one, Dr. Melgen has been cooperating with authorities in every way possible and he denies any wrongdoing.”
This is the same type of journalism that was used on Shirley Sherrod, Democratic Senator Mary Landrieu, and on ACORN. This journalistic fraud should be the kiss of death for the Daily Caller. It shows a concerted and methodical effort to destroy a senator on a fabricated story, a story that could have destroyed families and reputations. To date, there is no retraction at the Daily Caller’s site.
Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2013 Egberto Willies