MSNBC’s Ed Schultz did what all journalists should be doing. He is reporting on Obamacare comprehensively. Specifically he is putting the rollout of exchanges in the proper context. This is what they should all be doing.
Ed Schultz did not stay cooped up in Washington DC, or New York. He went directly to the source. He visited with Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear in Kentucky. The Kentucky exchange is up and running successfully. Kentucky is one of 15 states that set up their own. Except for Oregon’s exchange, most exchanges are running mostly fine.
Obamacare Kentucky Success
The Governor had many important pieces of information to provide. He told Schultz,
- He said that the idea that nobody wants Obamacare (Affordable Care Act) is hogwash. In his Red State of Kentucky, people are clamoring to get covered.
- His state embraced Obamacare from the beginning. They called it Kynect. In his state it is all about Kentuckians helping Kentuckians.
- They have already signed up 32,000 Kentuckians.
- Over 350,000 Kentuckians are swarming their Obamacare website.
- He said contrary to Republican misinformation, Obamacare is creating jobs. He referenced an economic analysis that place Kentucky’s Obamacare job creation north of 17,000.
- He stated the fact that no company with under 50 employees is affected by Obamacare. Even so he is advising companies with as little as 25 employees to checkout the exchange. Many will qualify for tax subsidies that can help their employees get affordable healthcare. Note that if an employer does not provide health insurance, the employee can get affordable health insurance directly from the Obamacare exchanges.
- When asked if either of Kentucky’s misinforming Republican Senators have visited this Obamacare Kentucky success story and on the ground implementation, Steve Beshear said they have not.
The video snippet below is probative.
Ed Schultz did a great job in showing the contrast between the Obamacare Kentucky success and Republican messaging. Kentucky’s two charlatan Senators in Washington continue to lie to the country. Senator Rand Paul (R-KY) and Mitch McConnell (R-KY) are trying to ignore the Obamacare Kentucky success at the peril of their own constituents. This is sad. This is un-American. This is inhumane.