Fox News Blocked
Fox News is in a fight with Dish Network. Dish Network has over 14 million customers. As of the date of this post these viewers continue to be blocked from receiving Fox News. America's aggregate IQ should increase over the next few days or however long the blackout lasts.
No one is sure how long this blackout will last. No one expected Viacom's network Comedy Central to be gone permanently from SuddenLink cable channels. Yet SuddenLink replaced the dropped the Viacom programs. Viacom is now helping SuddenLink subscribers switch providers.
Dish Network describes the dispute as follows.
Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:05 pm MST
ENGLEWOOD, Colo.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Tonight, 21st Century Fox, Inc. (NASDAQ: FOXA, FOX) blocked DISH customer access to Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network, as the media conglomerate introduced other channels into negotiations despite those channels not being included in the contract up for renewal.
DISH Network L.L.C. is a wholly owned subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (NASDAQ: DISH).
“It’s like we’re about to close on a house and the realtor is trying to make us buy a new car as well,” said Warren Schlichting, DISH senior vice president of programming. “Fox blacked out two of its news channels, using them as leverage to triple rates on sports and entertainment channels that are not in this contract.”
This service disruption comes despite DISH’s offer of a short-term contract extension that would preserve the channels as the two parties continue to negotiate.
“DISH has had a productive relationship with Fox for many years,” added Schlichting. “We regret the service disruption to our customers, and remain committed to reaching an agreement that promptly returns this content to DISH’s programming lineup.
Dish Network has setup a website attempting to keep its customers abreast of the situation urging them to stay. They say swithcing is not the answer. Fox News is doing the same at a website they have setup. They are encouraging Dish Network's customers to either switch or pressure the company.
Reaction from Fox News viewers on the Fox News Facebook page is amusing but sad. It shows why a withdrawal from Fox News cannot but help one's IQ. It seems the survey conducted by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland still holds true.
Fox News Facebook Post: Attention DISH Customers: DISH has blocked Fox News Channel and Fox Business Network. Despite the undeniable demand, you can no longer watch The O’Reilly Factor, The Kelly File, Hannity or Fox & Friends. Don’t let DISH control the news you watch! Make the switch to another TV provider NOW. www.KeepFoxNews.com.
- Molly Denza: They had better turn Fox back on. If I am reduced to watching CNN or MSNBC (Heaven forbidL I might as well read my local rag of a newspaper which is only good for coupons. Fox is the only place offering real news.
- Jim Clayton: CNN should be blocked instead!
- Cindy McAvoy Perkins: Political censorship is what this is and our government is behind it!!! FOX News is the ONLY channel that provides true news. Look how long it took the other mainstream "news" channels to report on Benghazi!!! People who don't watch FOX News have no clue about what is truly going on in the world because the liberal news channels (backed by the government) do NOT report the truth. They only provide what the government thinks we should know!!!!
- Janet LAne: I woke up this morning to find that Dish Network has now started to get into the censorship business as opposed to providing what I choose to watch on the television. I pay for the services quite handsomely and I'm certain I own the television. What freedom to choose will they decide to take away next? If Fox is not put back on immediately I will take my dollars and business to another cable company. I think I still have that freedom in America.
- Susan Holm Venecek: I like how the Fox haters think they watch fair and balanced news. What a joke. Most libs I talk to, don't have a clue what's going on in the world today. And to think anyone would watch MSNBC....OH WAIT! NOBODY DOES!!!! Fox will be back, and if they aren't, we'll switch back to DirectTV. At the moment, we have our computers to get the truth and facts.