Our nightly comedians had a field day with Donald Trump's firing of FBI Director James Comey. As usual, their satire was more effective in relaying the severity of the story than our mainstream media.
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Kimmel had two funny zingers.
- "This is the kind of thing reality TV hosts do," Kimmel said. "They fire someone every week. Maybe that's what happened. He thinks he is still on the Celebrity Apprentice. It was between James Comey and Meatloaf. Well, the Loaf won again."
- "One reason they gave," Kimmel said. "And this is something for firing Comey because he mishandled the Hilary Clinton email situation. Which is hilarious because that would mean Trump fired James Comey for making him, president.
The Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Stephen Colbert was just as funny.
- "We will have more on this tomorrow when they scramble to cover the whole thing up," Colbert said.
- "Obama warned Trump about hiring Flynn," Colbert said. "And it was just as effective as Obama warning America about hiring Trump."
Comedy Central The DailyShow with Trevor Noah
Tonight at 11/10c, Donald Trump fires FBI Director James Comey and Trevor breaks down Sally Yates’s Michael Flynn testimony. pic.twitter.com/qMCoMB6FXl
— The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) May 10, 2017
And then there is Trevor Noah whose antics play into the joke as well.
- "You can't just fire the FBI director," Noah said. "I mean, if he is gone, who is going to investigate Russia's ties with ... oh"
- "I know we said Trump was an African dictator," Noah said. "But right now even Africans are watching this going, 'Wow, Donald Trump does not f$ck around."
- His description of Trump's reason for firing Comey is even more hilarious.
The Late Show With James Corden
- "This puts Trump in a real bind," Corden said. "He does not have enough kids to fill the vacancies.
- Corden does not think Comey was fired for either the Clinton letters or the Russian investigation. "I say Comey is being fired because Donald Trump is crazy. He is a crazy man.
Also published on Medium.