Many think it is a fool's errand to try to reach the Trump voters. Invest the time into a base that is more in line with Progressives but who do not vote. Yes, we must. But we must also keep opening the eyes of all those fooled by Trump's con and the Republican failed ideology. Robert Reich did it spectacularly.
The reality is that investments in those, irrespective of ethnicity, who have a culture of voting, helping them see the light is a sticky investment. So if we appeal to them, if we cater the message, in a form they will absorb, we will get somewhere.
Robert Reich's recent article "New Year’s Update for Trump Voters" enumerates 20 of Donald Trump's many promises that went unfulfilled.
- He told you he’d cut your taxes, and that the super-rich like him would pay more.
- He promised to close “special interest loopholes that have been so good for Wall Street investors
- He told you he’d repeal Obamacare and replace it with something “beautiful.”
- He told you he’d invest $1 trillion in our nation’ crumbling infrastructure.
- He said he’d clean the Washington swamp.
- He said he’d use his business experience to whip the White House into shape.
- He told you he’d “bring down drug prices” by making... deals with drug companies.
- He promised “a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.”
- He told you “I’m not going to cut Social Security like every other Republican and I’m not going to cut Medicare or Medicaid.”
- He promised “six weeks of paid maternity leave to any mother with a newborn child whose employer does not provide the benefit.”
- He said that on Day One he’d label China a “currency manipulator.”
- He said he wouldn’t bomb Syria.
- He said he’d build a “wall” across the southern border.
- He promised that the many women who accused him of sexual misconduct “will be sued after the election is over.”
- He said he would not be a president who took vacations.
- He said he’d force companies to keep jobs in America, and that there would be “consequences” for companies that shipped jobs abroad.
- He promised to revive the struggling coal industry and “bring back thousands” of lost mining jobs.
- He promised to protect steel workers.
- He said he’d make America safer.
- He said he’d release his taxes.
Reich expands on each one of those promises in detail and shows how many of them hurt the Trump voters who he promised he would help. Read the article here and make sure to share it on throughout your social media and email sphere.
Also published on Medium.